Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Journal #1: Photo Narrative

Rock-a-“Bye” Baby

My name is Kit Raines. All I ever wanted was fame. I wanted to hear the roar of a crowd. I wanted to feel my heart thump with every booming thud of the bass drum. I wanted people to chant my name. Because when it Raines, it pours. I wanted to rock until I could rock no longer. I wanted the money, the power, the fame, and everything else that came with it. I am here to say, be careful what you wish for. All my life I dreamed of fame. I wanted to become the greatest rocker alive just like my daddy, the one and only, Steely Raines. I had a knack for anything that involved music and I could get up and perform in front of anyone. I grew up knowing only what tour buses, hotel rooms, and backstage looked like. The rockstar lifestyle seemed so carefree and liberal. My mother was never around because she couldn’t handle the lifestyle that my father and I both loved deeply. Steely didn’t seem to care about her, so I didn’t either. My father was my rock icon, my idol, and I was his baby. When I was 17 years old, one morning after a long show and a late night, I found him in his hotel room, dead. I’m not going to candy-coat this ending. Everyone deserves to know about the cold, hard, truth about the rockstar lifestyle and my father’s battle with addiction. I was surrounded by drugs and alcohol all my life, but I never knew my father had a problem. I only saw the glitz and glamour of being a rockstar and I thought it was normal to have a couple drinks here, pop a couple pills there. I wanted fame and everything that came with it. But I didn’t want the ailment of addiction. I never thought fame would get the best of the father. I didn’t even get to say goodbye. So, today I rock for a different reason. I rock so that my voice will be heard. I rock out to teach others that addition is a serious problem and it shouldn’t be ignored. The bigger your fame, the bigger your responsibility is. If you’re going to dream big, be smart enough to know exactly what to wish for, because you might just get it. We all can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment