Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Journal #4: Descriptive Food

Important elements:
1. Concrete/abstract image
2. Multi-sensory image
3. Simile, metaphor, analogy
4. Dominant impression

I speak only the truth when I say you have not lived until you’ve tasted my mother’s famous dirt cake. Composed of only the finest ingredients, it is layers of velvety, vanilla pudding folded in cool whip, and crushed double stuffed Oreos with gummies worms in the mix. The name “dirt cake” is quite deceiving. It looks like dirt, but it most certainly does not taste like it. It is safe to say that it is the best dirt you will ever eat. The very top layer is “dirt” and when you break through that, you dip into the smooth, silky vanilla cool-whipped pudding. It’s like breaking through storm clouds and reaching heaven. Spread evenly throughout is slippery, colorful gummy worms that act as little surprises throughout the desert. With every scoop, you hope to get a handful of the delicious little critters. The last time I had this desert was at my annual block party. It was simply scrumptious. Carol, my mother, outdid herself. The overall taste of this famous dirt cake is cool, delectable, and has the perfect balance of sweetness. This desert isn’t baked, so you cannot smell it, as you would be able to with fudgy brownies. I love hearing the sound of the mixer and the food processor crushing up the double-stuffed Oreos. My neighbor Vince is probably the biggest fan of this dish. If you’re ever at a party with him, be sure to get in line in front of him because he is notorious for helping himself to half the bowl. I know by now your mouth is watering, so you are welcome to ask me for the recipe. This is a must have desert before you go six feet under.

No comments:

Post a Comment